Managing Director, Bowles & Rice & Globaloria-WV Advisor
Image: "Zeit Geist" game by the Five Experimental Ninjas, RTC.
Recent News from the World Wide Workshop:
View our Press Kit.
- Q&A: Shubha Tuljapurkar Helps Silicon Valley Kids Learn to Code
- Globaloria Named 2014 SIIA CODiE Education Finalist for Best Project-Centered Learning
- Time Warner Cable News: East Austin College Prep Globaloria Students Ready for SXSWedu
- Do512 Family: Globaloria Class Featured at East Austin College Prep Academy Open House
- Press Release: Globaloria Receives a 2014 Google RISE Award
- Globaloria Selected as CIO 20 Most Promising Education Technology Solution Providers
- Globaloria Students Awards Entertainment Software Association (ESA) Leaders on Fast Track (LOFT) Video Game Innovation Fellowships
- Globaloria Chosen as District Administration 2013 Readers’ Choice Top 100 Products
- Huffington Post: Don’t Give Up on MOOCs
- Dr. Idit Harel Caperton Named a Disruptor Foundation Fellow
- The Fayette Tribune: Oak Hill High School Involved in Globaloria Education Game Design Class
- Coding Nation: The Kapor Center Coding Landscape 2013 Report and Database
- Silicon Valley Education Foundation Awards Globaloria the 2013 STEM Innovation Award in Science
- Press Release: Globaloria Named a 2013 Laureate of The Tech Awards
- Harvard's Ed. Magazine: Make Coding Mandatory
- MindCet Spotlights Idit's Favorite Games
- EdSurge: Video Game Design Requires Interdisciplinary Skills
- Knight Foundation Blog: Empowering Silicon Valley Kids through Globaloria
- Huffington Post: Silicon Valley Invests in Disruptive Education
- Idit Guest Blogs at Stanford Social Issue Review
- Women Rock Science Features NYC Globeys
- Raleigh County School District: Globaloria Showcases Skills
- Games for Change: Idit Rants Against Game-Based Learning Trends
- Education Week: Educators Teach Coding Through Gaming
- Huffington Post: Reflections on ConnectEd
- EdSurge: 40 Tools to Learn Coding
- Southwest Key Programs: 2013 Globey Awards at EAPrep
- Silicon Valley Latino: Empowering Youth through Globaloria
- Globaloria Students Awarded Silver Medals and Gold Keys in Scholastic Art and Writing Awards 2013
- Adobe Featured Blogs: Adobe Supports Globeys
- KXAN News: Globaloria Readies EAPrep Students for College
- Huffington Post: Empowering Latinas in Computing
- NCWIT Summit: Workshop Team Host Flash Talk
- Microsoft Silicon Valley Microdocumentary
- TechEdge Magazine Features Globaloria as Cover Story
- Silicon Valley Latino: Advisory Board Member on Globaloria
- SIIA Selects Globaloria for Innovation Incubator
- Southwest Key Programs: Award-Winning Globaloria Students
- Austin Statesman: Making Games, Building Skills
- NSBA: Workshop Featured as Technology Innovator
- Skoll World Forum: Idit Harel Caperton Featured Panelist
- Huffington Post: GlassLab & Beyond
- Getting Smart: Who’s the Learner of Game-Based Ed-Tech
- Microsoft Partners in Learning: Rethinking MOOCs
- Future of Education: Idit Harel Caperton on Social Learning
- SXSWedu Features Workshop President & Partners
- Huffington Post: Idit Harel Caperton Reflects on TED Prize
- Globaloria Highlighted in EAPrep Video
- Education Industry Association: Technology as a Force Multiplier in Learning
- Obama Calls for More Kids to Make Games
- MIT Alumni News Website Features Idit Harel Caperton
- (National Press): Globaloria Celebrates Digital Learning Day 2013: Program Showcases Digital Learning in Action
- Adobe Invites Donations to Support Globaloria
- Tech & Learning: How to Implement a Game-Design Program in Your School
- Press Release: National School Boards Association Showcases World Wide Workshop
- Read more in our press archive.
Shubha Tuljapurkar, Globaloria Network Director, West, was interviewed by Mercury News for her work in California in helping student develop skills in STEM education through game design and programming. Read the full interview here.
Globaloria was named an Education finalist for the Best Project-Centered Learning Solution in the 2014 SIIA CODiE Awards. Winners will be announced on May 13. Read the press release and see the full list of finalists here.
Globaloria students at East Austin College Prep Academy in Austin, Texas were interviewed by Time Warner Cable News as they prepared their original education and STEM games to be shown at SXSWedu, the leading conference for education innovaton. Watch the full video here.
Jamie Jett from Do512 Family visited the East Austin College Prep Academy Open House and chronicled her experience in the Globaloria classroom seeing first-hand the "game-design studio" and playing student-created games using the Globaloria curriculum. Read the full story here.
Globaloria named a recipient of a 2014 Google RISE Award for helping to build the next generation of digital leaders by engaging girls and underrepresented students in computer science learning. Read the press release here and visit the Google RISE website.
Globaloria selected as one of CIO 20 Most Promising Education Technology Solution Providers in 2013, and recognized as mitigating the skill gap to power the change towards digital citizenship. Read our feature here.
Globaloria Students Awards Entertainment Software Association (ESA) Leaders on Fast Track (LOFT) Video Game Innovation Fellowships
Globaloria students, Geraldine A., Daniela L. and Michelle R. M., from The Young Women’s Leadership School of Astoria are recipients of the ESA LOFT Video Game Innovation Fellowship for their game, “Animal Frenzy”, and are awarded $1,000 grants for creating a video game that seeks solutions to problems in their communities. Read the Press Release here.
This event was also featured in:
Globaloria chosen as a District Administration 2013 Readers’ Choice Top 100 Products. Winners are chosen from 1,800+ unique nominations sent by K-12 leaders, recognizing the products that inspire innovation in the world of education. See our feature here.
Idit’s recent blog post on Huffington Post Education, Don’t Give Up on MOOCs, is a response to Fast Company’s article about Sebastian Thrun’s Udacity and its “pivot” from being a technology disrupter of higher education to focusing on corporate-sponsored job training. Idit highlights the features, purpose and accomplishments that good MOOCs can create, using Globaloria as an example.
Dr. Idit Harel Caperton, World Wide Workshop and Globaloria Founder and President, named a Disruptor Foundation Fellow, recognizing her as an accomplished and promising innovator who applies trans-disciplinary approaches in her work and daily life to further the study and application of disruptive innovation.
Being the first Globaloria class in Fayette County in West Virginia, Oak Hill High School was interviewed by The Fayette Tribune on the impact learning computer science, game design and coding had on their students. Read the full story here.
This event was also featured in:
The Kapor Center for Social Impact collected information on 300+ programs and software that teaches youth and adults elements of computer science and coding They released the information in Coding Nation, their 2013 Report and Database. The report has an introductory note and shoutout to Globaloria from Jennifer Arguello, tech writer for NBCLatino.com, advisor to the Kapor Center and Chair of the Globaloria in Silicon Valley Advisory Board.
This event was also featured in:
Globaloria was announced the winner of the Silicon Valley Education Foundation 2013 STEM Innovation Award in Science Education Category. The SVEF STEM Awards are given in recognition of pioneering people and programs in the fields of Science, Technology, Engineering and Mathematics. Award winners represent the nation's top programs in STEM education. Read the press release here.
Globaloria was named a Laureate of The Tech Awards 2013 in the Microsoft Education Award category. One of the premier humanitarian awards programs in the world, The Tech Awards recognize 10 global innovators each year for applying technology to benefit humanity and spark global change. The Tech Awards is a signature initiative of the Tech Museum of Innovation. Read the press release here.
This event was also featured in:
- Tech Awards Press Release
- World Journal
- Knoxville Times
- Silicon Valley Business Journal
- Knight Foundation Blog
- Left Coast Cowboys
The September issue of the Harvard Graduate School of Education Ed. Magazine asked education visionaries and practitioners to share one big idea worth spreading. Idit expands on her view that "coding is the new literacy," explaining why it should be mandatory in K-12 education system.
This event was also featured in:
Israeli edtech innovation center MindCet featured Idit in its quarterly Snapshot report, Kids & Digital Games. Idit reflected on her favorite digital games from over the years, rounding up the many entertainment and education games that have shaped her philosophies of today. Read the report here.
In her guest blog on EdSurge, Video Games: The Shoebox Diorama of the Future, Dr. Idit Harel Caperton suggests learning to make quality video games requires more than just programming skills. Video game design engages story-telling, perspective-taking and knowledge representation abilities, making it a valuable project-based learning opportunity for any class.
Workshop funder Knight Foundation spotlights Globaloria summer camps that were held at the Boys & Girls Clubs of Silicon Valley this summer. Read the blog, which illustrates how learning to create with technology through Globaloria engages these youth in their own development as digitally literate citizens.
Idit's recent blog on Huffington Post Impact, Is Silicon Valley Beginning to Invest in Disrupting Education?, calls for big tech corporations to invest in innovative education initiatives that will address the digital divide plaguing not only Silicon Valley, but the nation and the world.
Stanford Social Issue Review featured Dr. Idit Harel Caperton's reflections on the Games for Change Festival and the need to support the movement of games for good in this guest blog.
Women Rock Science, a website dedicated to celebrating the STEM-related accomplishments of women, featured the First Annual NYC Globey Awards Ceremony in a post titled, 40 High Girls Become Game Designers in 1 Year. Read more here.
West Virginia's Raleigh County School District website featured Woodrow Wilson High School's Globaloria class, which held a showcase of student games on May 24 to increase awareness of Globaloria as an offering for county schools. Read more here.
World Wide Workshop founder and president Dr. Idit Harel Caperton led a “rant” at the 2013 Games for Change Festival in New York City. Idit’s session, entitled Gamifying Schools and Schoolifying Games: The Art, The Science, and The Myth, also featured Dr. James Bower of Numedeon, Inc.; Dan White of Filament Games; and Andrew Gardner of BrainPOP challenging common trends of game-based learning that fall short of improving on learning and society. Read the press release here.
Education Week highlighted Globaloria as a leader in a movement to engage K-12 students in coding education through game design classes. Read the post on EdWeek.org's Digital Directions here.
Dr. Idit Harel Caperton reflected on President Obama’s ConnectEd initiative in this Huffington Post blog noting that the program goals are admirable but faster results are needed.
EdSurge included Globaloria in its collection of favorite tools for teaching kids to code. See which other products made the list here.
Southwest Key Programs, supporter of Globaloria at EAPrep, created a video recap of the 4th Annual Globey Awards Ceremony at the school. Watch remarks from program leaders and Globey winners here.
Silicon Valley Latino posted a video interview blog with Globaloria Silicon Valley Advisory Board Chair Jennifer Argüello and Christopher School principal Bill Abraham from the 2nd Annual Globey Awards Ceremony in Silicon Valley.
Globaloria students Matthew S. and Brittany S. from Tygarts Valley High School receive National Silver Medals in the Video Game category in the 2013 Scholastic Art and Writing Awards held by the Alliance for Young Artists and Writers in New York City. Six other Globaloria teams awarded Gold Keys recognizing the highest level of achievement in their region, and eleven won Silver Keys for outstanding achievement in their region. Check out their games on Globaloria.org.
Adobe posted a blog recapping the 2nd Annual Globey Awards Ceremony in Silicon Valley. Adobe executives presented awards for Best Hidden Object Game at the event, and Adobe donated prizes for Globey winners across the country.
Austin NBC affiliate KXAN highlighted Globaloria at East Austin College Prep (EAPrep) for its effective preparation of students for college and tech careers. Watch the clip.
In this Huffington Post IMPACT blog, Idit Harel Caperton calls for increased and improved opportunities for Latino you to engage in STEM & Computing education in the face of a growing Latino workforce and a growing digital divide in technologically underserved communities. Read the post here.
Workshop President Dr. Idit Harel Caperton and Globaloria Silicon Valley Advisory Board Chair Jennifer Argüello gave a Flash Talk at the NCWIT Summit on Women and IT: Practices and Ideas to Revolutionize Computing, titled Empowering Latinos in Computing.
Microsoft Silicon Valley produced a microdocumentary about the impact of STEM learning through Globaloria among San Jose/Silicon Valley youth. Watch Globaloria: Increasing Opportunity in Silicon Valley.
TechEdge Magazine, a publication of the Texas Computer Education Association, featured the Globaloria professional development program in the May 2013 issue. The article, "Proven Professional Development Tips from Globaloria," outlines results-proven strategies for successful teacher training in a blended learning environment. Read the article here.
Jennifer Argüello, Head of the Silicon Valley Advisory Board for the Workshop, explains her work with Latino youth through Globaloria and shares news of the Globey Awards Ceremony in San Jose, California. Watch the interview.
The Software and Information Industry Association (SIIA) featured Globaloria as a Education Technology Pioneers at the annual SIIA Ed Tech Industry Summit, May 5-7 in San Francisco. Each of the ten featured companies attended the Summit to give a Business Profile Presentation and represent at the Innovation Showcase. Read press release here.
Globaloria students and East Austin College Prep ninth-graders Laura and Michael were featured on the Southwest Key Programs blog for recent national achievements in computing. Read more here about Laura’s NCWIT Aspirations in Computing Award and Michael’s Scholastic Art & Writing Award.
The Austin American-Statesman's Omar L. Gallaga recently visited East Austin College Prep Academy (EAPrep), where he spoke to students, teachers and superintendent Joe Gonzalez about the skills and achievements students attain by participating in Globaloria daily. Read the article here.
This article was also featured in Business Mirror.
The National School Board Association (NSBA) named the World Wide Workshop to its first Technology Innovation Showcase at the NSBA Annual Conference in San Diego. Six companies were recognized for changing education through innovation. Read more here.
Dr. Idit Harel Caperton was a featured speaker on a panel about blended learning at Skoll World Forum. Dr. Caperton's panel, Blended Learning: The Proof and the Promise, also featured Khan Academy founder Salman Khan, Ideo education lead Sandy Speicher, eAdvance CEO Stacey Brewer, and Stanford University d.School professor Debra Dunn, as moderator, discussing how technology can improve education quality and access globally. See Dr. Harel Caperton’s presentation here and read her related blog post here.
In her recent Huffington Post blog, GlassLab and Beyond: Who's the Designer and Who's the Learner of the Next-Gen Game-Based Ed-Tech, Idit Harel Caperton challenges a new game-based ed-tech initiative, GlassLab, by positing that game play alone does not engage students in deep learning.
This guest blog post on Getting Smart by Dr. Idit Harel Caperton examines the shortcomings of GlassLab as a game-based learning tool.
In her post on Microsoft Partners in Learning blog network, Dr. Idit Harel Caperton advocates for rethinking the instructor-led model of the MOOC in favor of learning-by-doing classrooms.
Steve Hargadon of Web 2.0 Labs interviewed Idit Harel Caperton on his Future of Education podcast about the roots of social learning in MIT Media Lab research and the future of new media technology in the classroom. Read the blog announcement and listen to the interview.
SXSWedu featured Idit Harel Caperton, Anne Fertitta of AMD, Jennifer Bergland of TCEA, and Joe Gonzales of EAPrep on a panel: Preparing High Tech Innovators Through Game Design. They presented various perspectives on the country’s STEM education crisis and explained how game design programs, like Globaloria, can offer a solution.
This event was also featured in:
In this Huffington Blog Post, Idit Harel Caperton offers perspective on the awarding of the 2013 TED prize winner to Sugata Mitra in support of his “school-in-the-cloud” initiative. Read the full story here.
Watch this video showcasing Globaloria at East Austin College Prep (EAPrep), and how it impacts students through STEM skill development and college- and career-readiness. Read the blog post by Southwest Key here.
In this featured post on EIA here, Workshop President Idit Harel Caperton writes about the potential of technology to be a force multiplier in education. Integrated effectively, technology can enable constructive learning spaces that develop students' and educators' best abilities and potential as learners.
In a virtual Q&A with American citizens, President Barack Obama called for more youth to have the opportunity to learn to make video games. Noting how significant gaming is in children's lives, Obama said game design can be a motivator of learning and, specifically, STEM learning. Read more here and watch the clip here.
In a post on Slice of MIT, the Massachusetts Institute of Technology Alumni Association featured the work of Idit Harel Caperton (PhD '88) in developing "educational game-changer" Globaloria. Read the post here.
(National Press): Globaloria Celebrates Digital Learning Day 2013: Program Showcases Digital Learning in Action
Three thousand youth in 50 schools and community centers across the nation opened their classrooms to demonstrate the power of digital teaching and learning the Globaloria way on the second annual Digital Learning Day on February 6.
As part of Digital Learning Day, World Wide Workshop, partnered with the Alliance for Excellent Education to celebrate innovative teaching practices that make learning more engaging for students. World Wide Workshop's Globaloria program is the first and largest social learning network for developing digital literacy, STEM knowledge and global citizenship skills through game design. Read the full press release.
This event was featured in:
- Telemundo (WNJU) (TV News about TYWLS of Astoria, featuring Liz Gonzalez - in Spanish)
- KGO-TV ABC (TV News about Santa Teresa HS and Christopher School, San Jose, CA)
- WTRF - CBS (TV News)
- WOWK (TV News)
- WDTV 5 News (TV News about Preston High School, Kingwood, WV and Randolph Technical Center, Elkins, WV)
- Getting Smart (Education Blog of Tom Vander Ark)
- Huffington Post (Women in Tech Blog)
- Austin Statesman (News Article about WV Schools)
- San Antonio Express (News Article about Globaloria Schools)
- Yahoo News (Web News about Santa Teresa HS and Christopher School, San Jose, CA)
- One News Page (Web News about US Business)
- WBOY 12 News (News Article about Grafton High School, Grafton, WV
- The Inter-Mountain (News Article about Randolph Technical Center, Beverly, WV)
- Mountain Statesman (News Article about Taylor County Technical Center, Grafton, WV)
- Herald-Dispatch (News Article about WV Schools)
- Adobe Featured Blogs (Company Blog of Adobe)
- Creative Maze (Games Blog)
- Southwest Key Programs (Nonprofit Organization Blog)
- East Austin College Prep (School Website, EAPrep, Austin, TX)
- Captital High School (School Website, Capital HS, Charleston, WV)
- Adobe Middle East & North Africa Facebook Group (Facebook post on Globaloria Schools)
- Silicon Valley Education Foundation Facebook Group (Facebook post on Globaloria Schools)
- @MicrosoftSV (Twitter)
- @ESAGovAffairs (Twiiter)
- @AdobeEdu (Twitter)
- @AdobeMENA (Twitter)
- @AdobeNZ (Twitter)
- @DLDay2013 (Twitter)
- @mass_digi (Twitter)
- @GameDesignshare (Twitter)
- @LenardLo (Twitter)
In a post on Adobe Featured Blogs, Adobe Foundation announces a matching gift program in which they will match 100% of donations to Globaloria, up to $50,000. The program is announced in conjunction with a call for more students to be given the opportunity that Globaloria provides to develop digital literacy. Read the post here.
In this post, Tech & Learning provides an overview of resources available to educators wanting to incorporate game-design in the classroom. Globaloria is cited as a comprehensive option offering curriculum, professional development, and support.
The World Wide Workshop is one of six companies named to the 2013 National School Boards Association Technology Innovation Showcase. The Showcase is designed to educate school board members and district leaders about the innovative companies that are transforming education. Read the full press release here.